by Dan Doucet, (Case Western Reserve University, ‘12)
On Saturday, October 15th, 2016, Ohio Alpha Beta alumni from all generations joined on the campus of Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio to celebrate their 75th Anniversary. The Ohio Alpha Beta chapter was founded in 1941 as the Alpha Beta chapter of Phi Kappa. At the time, the school was named the Case School of Applied Science, which was changed a few years later to the Case Institute of Technology. Fast forward 75 years and the chapter has not just seen a merger between fraternities, but also a merger between schools… Case Institute of Technology and Western Reserve University merged in 1967.
The chapter house was the focal point of the event, which has served as the chapter’s "home” since the 1950s. Some recent improvements to the house were on display, as the chapter is in the process of holding a fundraising drive to help repair and improve their house, which was built in the early 1900s. Rooms on the first floor were filled with all types of memorabilia, including many decades worth of composites, paddles, chapter minutes, photos, and even a circa-1940s pledge manual. The always-busy bar in the basement served up refreshments throughout the evening. Dinner was provided under a clear sky in front of the house, with conversations and stories lasting throughout the night.
A total of 58 alumni attended the event, including brothers from every decade of the chapter’s existence, along with many spouses, active brothers, and associate members. There were large contingents of alumni from the 1960s and 1970s that attended, as well as a Founding Father (who became a brother in 1941). Long distances were traveled to attend the event in Ohio, including brothers from Oregon, Colorado, Illinois, and Connecticut. Many thanks go out to both the Ohio Alpha Beta Alumni Association and the Ohio Alpha Beta chapter itself for hosting a very successful event.