|The Phi Kappa Theta Distinguished Service Award, or D.S.A., is the highest honor that can be bestowed to a brother. The DSA is voted on by the Fraternity’s Board of Trustees and given to a brother who has demonstrated outstanding service and leadership for the betterment of Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity.
Michael T. McSweeney
About Brother McSweeney
- School: Northern Illinois University
- Chapter: Illinois Psi
- Graduated: 1961
- Brother Michael T. McSweeney (NIU, ’61) served as Fraternity president from 1997-1999. He also served on the Fraternity’s Board of Trustees and Foundation.
- Michael was a veteran of the U.S. Air
Force, an avid motor home enthusiast, and a loving husband, brother,
father and grandfather.
- 2015: Michael T. McSweeney (NIU, '61)
- 2010: Stephen J. Hollander (Kansas State, '82)
- 2003: James F. Dickow (Purdue University, '65)
- 1997: Edward R. Solvibile
(Temple University, '63)
- 1993: Gregory E. Stein (CCNY, '70)
- 1992: Anthony
R. Zinnante (University of Houston, '62)
- 1991: Leo Patrick Hays (Oklahoma
State University, '53)
- 1989: Michael A. Duplantier (Loyola University, '68)
- 1989: Robert S. Bailey (Purdue University, '52)
Rev. J. Raymond Favret (The Catholic University of America, '57)
Edward J. Kirchner (The Ohio State University, '35)
- 1977: Charles H.
Meyers, Jr. (University of Cincinnati, '39)
- 1975: Ronald F. Becker
(Missouri University of Science and Technology, '50)
- 1974: George V.
Uihlein, Jr. (WPI, '45)
- 1973: Dr. Earl A. Reynolds (The University of
- 1972: Rev. Vincent A. Lawless (University of New Hampshire,
- 1970: Helen G. Stone
- 1970: William A. Hoffman, Jr. (Lehigh
- 1969: Rev. Christian H. Malone (University of Georgia,
- 1969: Frank S. Flick (University of Illinois, '27)
- 1969: Rudolph A.
Damico (Case Western, '48)
- 1967: Rev. Edward J. Weisenberg, S.J.
Rev. James A. McInerney, O.P. (NIU, '68)
- 1966: Joseph A. Zimmerman (The
University of Arizona, '60)
- 1965: Joseph L. Osberger (The Ohio State
- 1965: Frank L. Chinery (University of Kansas, '16)
William R. Grogan (WPI, '46)
- 1965: Dexter L. George (University of
- 1964: Jerome S. Koehler (University of Kansas)
- 1963: William
C. Zeuger, Jr. (Penn State University, '32)
- 1963: Pierre F. Lavedan
Past D.S.A. recipients; Greg Stein (CCNY, '70) (left), Edward R.
Solvibile (Temple University, '63) (middle left), Mark McSweeney (NIU,
'88) (middle right) and Stephen J. Hollander (Kansas State, '82)
McSweeney (NIU, '88) accepted the 2015 D.S.A. award on
behalf of his father, Michael T. McSweeney (NIU, '61), who passed away
earlier in 2015.
The Phi Kappa Theta Foundation Man of Achievement program began in 1984 (formerly Man of Excellence) to recognize those Brothers who have risen to prominence in their fields of endeavor. These Brothers not only serve to inspire our members but serve as a great source of pride for Phi Kappa Theta.