Phi Kappa Theta and the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals
To nurture the belief in our commitment to Brotherhood beyond our immediate neighbors, at the 1997 convention in San Diego, the brothers of Phi Kappa Theta chose the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals as our National Philanthropy. Children’s Miracle Network is a non-profit organization dedicated to raising funds for children’s hospitals. Currently there are over 170 hospitals in the network and annually 7 million children benefit from their care. Money raised goes toward patient services, research programs, new equipment, and capital facilities. One of the many great things about the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals is that donations go to your Local Children’s Hospital – benefiting your community. To learn more about the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals visit there website.
How Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Funds Impact Specific Children
- Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals funded an entire pediatric inpatient oncology unit. The unit included seven new impatient rooms for kids with cancer like Dayshia Ellsworth, 8, who has leukemia. A classroom with a dedicated teacher in the unit helped Dayshia keep up with her schoolwork while receiving treatments.
- Lauren Choi, 7, wasn’t expected to ever walk again after suffering a spinal cord injury during a car accident. Therapeutic equipment purchased with Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals funds helped Lauren recover and increase her strength. Seven months after her accident, Lauren walked out of the hospital with a huge crowd of supporters cheering her every step.
- Child-life specialists supported by Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals funds proved invaluable for the recovery of Derek Gaskins, 12, who was involved in a serious shotgun accident. Specialists helped Derek deal with the trauma of being involved in the accident and helped him recover emotionally as well as physically.
- Drew Foster, 7, was born with brittle bones disease, which impacts his every move. To help him increase his ability and endurance, Drew uses a special pediatric treadmill that goes at the slowest speed possible. Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals funds purchased the treadmill for approximately $2,000, but its results with Drew have been priceless.
About Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals
Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals® raises funds for 170 children’s hospitals across North America, which, in turn, use the money where it’s needed the most. When a donation is given it stays in the community, ensuring that every dollar is helping local kids. Since 1983, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals has raised more than $4 billion, most of it $1 at a time. These donations have gone to support research and training, purchase equipment, and pay for uncompensated care, all in support of our mission to save an improve the lives of as many children as possible. Learn more.
Director, Sponsor Relations-Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals
205 West 700 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Office: (801) 214-7400
Fax: (801) 746-6688
How to report a Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals philanthropy event
In an effort to better record, recognize and publicize the good work that our chapters our doing for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, we have implemented a philanthropy reporting system. Currently, several chapters submit donations directly to local hospitals, while others send it the the National Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Headquarters or directly to our office. This creates a nightmare for keeping good records. We would prefer that after your chapter completes a philanthropy event that raises money and/or awareness for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, you report it directly to Phi Kappa Theta National Headquarters, by completing the following steps:
- Complete a Philanthropy Event Form
- Write a single check made payable to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals for all donations collected (Option: you may subtract any out-of-pocket or non-budgeted expenses related to the event)
- Submit Philanthropy Event Form and check to Phi Kappa Theta National Headquarters
**Upon receipt of forms and money, we will record and publicize information on website and send everything to the National Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Headquarters. They will then distribute back to the nearest children’s hospital from your institution.